Skip to content
Home » Do you know about Silver ?

Do you know about Silver ?

Together with gold and the platinum-group metals, silver is one of the so-called precious metals. Because of its comparative scarcity, brilliant white colour, malleability, ductility, and resistance to atmospheric oxidation, silver has long been used in the manufacture of coins, ornaments, and jewelry. 

Silver Alloy

Like gold, pure silver is soft and easily damaged. Therefore, jewelry makers often alloy silver with harder metals to improve its durability. With silver alloys, they can make beautiful, strong pieces suitable for daily wear.

  • Fine Silver (999 PPT)
  • Sterling Silver (925 PPT)
  • Mexican Silver (950 PPT)
  • Coin Silver (900 PPT)
  • Britannia Silver (958 PPT)
  • South American Silver (800 PPT)
  • Modern non-Tarnish Silver

1.Fine Silver (999 PPT)

Fine silver is the closest metal to the pure element silver. It is marked .999 which indicates 99.9% purity. The 0.1% remainder consists of trace elements of insignificant quantity. Fine silver has a more vitreous luster than the bright polish of sterling. It appears grayer and slightly dull. This type of silver is quite soft and will scratch, dent and change shape fairly easily. For that reason, it is less common in jewelry because items will not wear well over time.

2.Sterling Silver (925 PPT)

The most common silver alloy is sterling silver. Sterling silver consists of 92.5% silver. One or more metals comprise the other 7.5%. Often, copper makes up a substantial portion of that 7.5%, because it increases the alloy’s hardness.

3.Mexican Silver (950 PPT)

The term “Mexican silver” refers to silver used as currency in Mexico, typically comprised of 95% silver and 5% copper. This alloy sees more use as currency than in jewelry. Even silver jewelry made in Mexico is more commonly crafted from sterling silver.

4.Coin Silver (900 PPT)

In the United States, coin silver contains 90% silver and 10% copper. You don’t usually see coin silver used in jewelry.

5.Britannia Silver (958 PPT)

Britannia silver contains a minimum of 95.84% silver, making it a more valuable alloy than sterling. This alloy does, rarely, see some jewelry use.

6.South American Silver (800 PPT)

You’ll find a variety of silver alloys used worldwide. For example, a South American alloy, made of 80% silver, doesn’t tarnish.

7.Morden Non Tanish Silver

tarnish-resistant silver jewelry tends to cost slightly more than jewelry made from regular sterling silver, it also requires less maintenance.

Modern non-tarnish alloys include:

  • Argentium – Either 93.5% or 96% silver, with a proprietary blend of germanium, zinc, boron and copper making up the remainder. Argentium silver is the most well-known tarnish resistant alloy.
  • Silvadium – 93% silver, 7% palladium, with trace amounts of germanium.
  • Sterlium – 93% silver, 4% zinc, 3% copper, with trace amounts of germanium.
  • Sterilite – 92.5% silver, with a remainder of copper, tin, zinc, silica, and sometimes germanium.

Published by ©https://goldceylon.lk/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *